Sunday 11 August 2013

America Part 2- Church History Tour

I loved flying once I figured out she was small enough to sleep on the floor under my feet. We literally took about 20 flights during this trip so she got pretty good at it by the end.



Once we landed I pulled her up to get off the plane but the poor little thing was just too tired!!


Our first day in New York. It was FREEZING out side. Thanks Aunty Jade for the warm Zebra suit. It was perfect and she looked so adorable!


Here is a few shots of the sacred grove. It was just beautiful. This first shot is from the kitchen window of the Smiths home. I just love to imagine how it would have felt looking out that window after the events that transpired there... how beautiful! 



This is the building where the church was first established. "Out of small and simple things... shall great things come to pass..."


So close to Niagara Falls, we had to stop by. In the back ground you can see the water still flowing, but the water below was totally frozen over.


Newel K. Whitney store


This is in one of the rooms above the store. Its the "school of the Prophets". I felt privileged to sit in the same place where such amazing people had sat before me and some beautiful teachings were received. Very humbling.


This was not part of the church history tour but we were so close so we had to go see. We went through an amish village and there were horse and karts all over the place, stopping at traffic lights and everything. It was really cool. I especially liked the stop signs for the horses. "Whoa" :)


Sienna was so great with her sleeping. We literally slept in a different hotel every night. So I would strap her to the seat coushins and off she went. Looking back I cant believe how good she was being moved around so much! 


This is probably my favourite place out of the whole trip. Adam-ondi-ahman. There was nothing else there, no visitors centres or tours or anything, just a big open field in the middle of nowhere, but imagining what has taken place, and what will take place there was just... overwhelming. Im so grateful to just have been there.... a really amazing experience for me.


Sienna just enjoying some time out during one of our tours at the visitors centre. It looks like she is crying and flailing her arms about, but actually she was quiet calm and just enjoying the bright lights above her. I just love how this picture makes it look like she has been left by accident...


Beautiful Nauvoo temple. The last time I was here, we just walked around the corner stones of this temple. Its so beautiful as it stands at the highest point in Nauvoo looking over the plains. It truly is a beacon to the world. Something I hadnt noticed before was that the stone becomes a more purer white colour from the bottom up. I love how everything in the temple is symbolic.


We had a wonderful time doing the church history tour. It was a very fast week, full of some of the most spiritual experiences in my life. I am so grateful for the example of the early saints, and i think what i took away most from this trip was that despite the MANY challenges they faced, they were a happy people. I wondered how that could be, and I can only put it down to being unified in the cause of righteousness. Living the gospel really does bring true and lasting happiness.


No comments: